Saturday 29 July 2017

As You See It 155 - DT card

As lovely as holidays are, it's good to be back home and back in my craft room. I did think I'd miss the challenge  deadline this week at As You See It but it turned out to be the perfect challenge for me at this moment. After two weeks on a tropical island holiday, a return home to depressing winter, a bit of jet lag and an in-at-the-deep-end return to work my mojo was definitely still on holiday! Yet the challenge at As You See It this week is the perfect antidote for this...


So, what do I do when I lose my craft mojo? Well, what I do it look for a challenge to enter. This does a couple of things for me. It gives me a reason to hunt for mojo but more importantly, it gives me a really useful tool for managing mojo loss: limitation. One of the most inhibiting things to mojo, I think, is when you have no clear idea where to start because you're in your normally happy place: the well-stocked craft room. A sketch or colour challenge is really good for limiting your choice and making the task more accessible. 

If I'm in real mojo trouble, I limit things even further. I might make myself use a particular stamp set, or I might make myself only use retired stock or things I got in my last Big Brown Box, or to use a particular technique.

What I did today was decide that I'd find a sketch challenge and that I'd use a current favourite bundle (Dragonfly Dreams) and a current favourite technique (sponging and masking). After a bit of a hunt around, I chose the sketch at Fab Friday.


Even so, sailing was not plain. There were two false starts before I got a dragonfly I was happy enough with to use. In the end, he was stamped in StazOn, painted in Sweet Sugarplum and Fresh Fig, washed with clear Wink of Stella and highlighted with a white gel pen and rhinestones. He's layered and mounted on the raised sentiment strip.


The circle was sponged through a circular mask. The colours blended were Sweet Sugarplum, Calypso Coral and Daffodil Delight. The leaves were stamped in Fresh Fig and then some Wink of Stella splatters were added in before the mask was removed.


I will enter this at Fab Friday. You can enter our challenge at As You See It over the next two weeks and we'd love to see what you do and to hear what you do when your mojo is AWOL. Just link up by 11.55 pm, Wednesday 9 August PST.

If you live anywhere in New Zealand and don't have a demonstrator, I'd love to help you find your stamping mojo. You can contact me by leaving me a message in the comments or by clicking on my Facebook page in the sidebar of this blog.

Update: Delighted to be in the Fave Four at Fab Friday with this card. 
The mojo must be working!

Ingredients - all products Stampin' Up.
Card: Fresh Fig, Sweet Sugarplum, Whisper White
Stamps: Dragonfly Dreams, Butterfly Basics, Thoughtful Banners
Inks: Sweet Sugarplum, Calypso Coral, Daffodil Delight, Fresh Fig, Black Stazon
Other: clear Wink of Stella, Layering circle framelits (to make the mask), sponges, dimensionals, rhinestones, Detailed Dragonfly thinlits, white gel pen, aquapainter











1 comment:

  1. So glad you persevered on that dragonfly - he's gorgeous! I'll have to try your mojo tricks, too - great minds think alike! Thanks so much for playing at Fab Friday!

    ReplyDelete